Thursday, March 27, 2008

Quotes from Teaching In Singapore

Quotes from Teachers

“If you want to get inspired, spend time with a child.”

“Later I realized that I enjoyed helping people learn. I felt that I could be of value to someone through teaching.”

“I want to share my love of learning with my students.”

“Every kid has a story. There are 30 stories every year. Every year I have 30 opportunities to improve at least one person's life.”

“I never say I'm going to work. I say I'm going to school. I don't see teaching as a job. It's way too much fun. I love what I do and I love my kids, even with the problems that I have to tackle everyday. I love being there - in the classroom.”

“I never say I'm going to work. I say I'm going to school. I don't see teaching as a job. It's way too much fun. I love what I do and I love my kids, even with the problems that I have to tackle everyday. I love being there - in the classroom.”

“Get involved in a youth program and tutor. Observe classes before you begin the process. It makes teaching much more tangible. I still observe classes and get so much out of it. I have learned a lot from watching other teachers' styles.”

“It was invaluable for me to observe before I taught. It gave me a real sense of what goes on in the classroom. Check out different grades and different teachers. Every teacher has a unique style and personality. It's important to figure out what works for you and how to come up with your own teaching style.”

“Keep an open mind. Remember you're going to make a lot of mistakes. The kids are your guinea pigs. If you mess up, believe me, they'll let you know.”

“No matter how difficult it gets, you have to remember that you are there to make a difference in society.”

“Try to get extra support when you start teaching. Networking with other teachers is so important. You're going to need to talk to other teachers for emotional and practical support and direction all along the way.”

“Get assigned a mentor your first year - it's essential.”

“Find an ally at your school with the same mindset who is willing to support you, a veteran teacher or a mentor at your school, and make sure that person has a positive attitude about teaching.”

“The most important thing to do is go in with a plan and know how you're going to manage your class. It's as basic as where the students will sit, how they will line up and how they will enter a classroom. You have to control the classroom from the beginning.”

"Our lives are unimportant, except for the influence we have on others." This is certainly one of the greatest joys of teaching - the difference we are allowed to make in the lives of our students.